Garden Dome 1
Try out the paper model for a quick mini dome that demonstrates the unique shape and symmetry. Cut out around the perimeter, bend a slight crease using a straight edge on each interior line,then tape the pieces together on the inside.
Print 5 of the model pattern section below to make the paper dome, taped together in the pattern above. Use thicker paper for best results. Match up and tape adjacent lines to obtain the dome shape.
The dome model makes a great family or children’s project:
With plenty of room and height, this dome is practical for use in areas of limited space. A unique design not seen very often. The 12 foot model is shown here, covered with colored poly-tarp, andd non woven greenhouse film.
Garden Dome 1 is a Class II 2 frequency icosahedral dome. It makes a great looking, strong and functional dome.
This pictorial illustrationof the original frame shows the height/diameter relationship and how simply and effectively a volume of space is enclosed with a minimum of materials.
The revised dome – top, front, side profile views and a pictorial.
- Practical sizes: about 8 to 28 ft. diameter, available in complete Frame Kits or Connector Kits.
- If the longest struts are 8 ft, (blue in above drawing) diameter is 23 ft. and this size dome can be conveniently covered with right triangle panels made from 4 x 8 ft sheets, with X1 subdivision struts dividing each triangle in half. Applies to the GD1 E.Z. also.
- If the longest struts are 10 ft, dome diameter is almost 29 ft.
- 12′- 6″ is suggested for a good small dome size, where two struts are cut from a standard length 8 ft board.
- One level of triangles could be deleted for a shorter dome. Specify your size requirement and wood size- 1 x 2 to 2 x 6 or other dome type: aluminum, steel etc.
This 12′-6″ diameter dome is approximately 9 feet tall = 75% of diameter.
Domes have a wonderful glow when lit up at night:
I remodelled this dome with the new Base Option “Evolution” design, with plywood siding and new 11 mil Super Poly to replace the orange and blue poly tarps that had deteriorated over the years. An aluminum storm door was fitted in a hexagon area. Total height was raised about 1 foot.
EVOLUTION of the Garden Dome 1
The dome has aquired a door retrofit, base extensions, more floor area, and two cupola types. several pages of illustrations and descriptions of the Garden Dome 1 Evolution
We gave the new design the Vertical Base Option, Door frame, and Cupola option:
GD1-X1 H.Z. Hexagon Zenith version