Design concept using the RCO Simplified
Dome with retrofit sky viewing slot.
These drawings are based on the 18 ft dome with X1 addition.
- Use the half dome
(bottom level of triangles removed) with wheels attached to make
the dome rotatable on a Base.
- Use the Vertical Base Option as a Mounting Base with door
and track for wheels; size/height proportional to the dome diameter
and reinforced as required to support the dome.
- This dome is used for its simplicity = fewer quantity of
different parts; easier covering with only 2 sizes of triangle
- Width and height of the viewing slot is variable for accomodating
all dome sizes as needed or your telescope.
- Make with the Connector Kit or Frame Kit, with precut cover
panels avaiable. Use 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 lumber, diameters from 6 ft to
- Use the Original RCO dome for a rounder = more spherical
shaped Observatory Dome.
The top half of the dome with -X1 struts removed. The Base
Perimeter now has 16 edges. The view slot is shortened at the top where the
apex Connector Hub and top 4 struts remain intact. This dome can be mounted
on a riser wall where a door can be placed.
Diameter to height ratio of the RCO-S, top + base is 1
: .6785 For example: 16 ft diameter X .6785 = 10.85 ft.
The original observatory design, with -X1 struts removed.
The -X1 struts are not required on smaller domes, 10 - 15 ft.
© Copyright 1997-2002 belongs to Worldflower Garden Domestm